AICC’s Rising Stars
Monday, October 16, 2017
Posted by: Alyce Ryan
AICC, the Independent Packaging Association is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2017-2018 J. Richard Troll Scholarship and the winners of the 2017 Annual Student Packaging Design Competition.
This year, the first-place student design winners and all scholarship recipients received an all-expense paid trip to the AICC 2017 Annual Meeting, which was co-located with PackExpo, September 25-27, 2017 at the Encore Hotel in Las Vegas, Nev.
All the winners in the Student Design Competition receive a monetary award and plaque. The Troll Scholarship recipients receive a plaque and a monetary scholarship is sent to their respective schools for the next calendar year.
AICC 2017 Annual Student Design Winners | Design to an Opportunity – Structural ChallengeStudents had to create a "Hardware Shipper Box” to be sent to customers of a hardware store.
The package had to contain 4 traditional 60-watt light bulbs and 1 16-oz hammer. This challenge focused on the structure of the box so it had to withstand the rigors of courier delivery without anything being broken.* First Place Winners – "Symplex Set” | Clemson University: Jeff Burks and Ben Parkins
* Second Place Winners – "EZ-Bulb” | California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo: Austin Kron, Kevin Rivas, and Derek Breshears* Third Place Winners – "Eco-Light Bulb & Box” | California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo: Paige Topole, Simeon Comanescu, and Atlanta Nguyen
Design to an Opportunity – Graphics Challenge
Students had to design the graphics for a pet product company’s e-commerce box; a box that would be shipped directly to customers when they ordered products online. This challenge focused on the graphics of the box using one of the following processes: line or screen art, screened images, process or modified process color, or digital printing.
* First Place Winners – "Chef Chow” | University of Texas at Arlington: Michaela Keck, Emily Brown, Reithna Chhoeum, and Emily Opie* Second Place Winners – "Ruff N Tumble” | Millersville University: Brittany Myers and Eli Brill
* Third Place Winners – "The Rolling Bones” | Michigan State University: Marlee Rothman
Corrugated as Art – Las Vegas Theme
Students had to design a structure of their choosing out of corrugated that was inspired by Las Vegas. The final product must be one-of-a-kind and not commercially reproducible.* First Place Winners – "Bellagio Hotel & Fountain” | Dunwoody College of Technology: Kristin Warehime, Brann Haugen, and Kristofor Patterson
AICC 2017-2018 J. Richard Troll Scholarship RecipientsGraduate Student Recipient:
Undergraduate Student Recipients:
- First Place Winner: Alyssa Harben, Michigan State University
- First Place Winner: Ryan Knudtson, University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Second Place Winner: Trevor Gamache, NC State University
- Third Place Winner: Lindsay Jessmore, Michigan State University
For more information on the annual AICC Student Packaging Design Competition and the J. Richard Troll Scholarship, please contact Laura Mihalick at 703-836-2422 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AICC, The Independent Packaging Association, is uniting and celebrating the success of inspired, independent packaging companies. We are a growing membership association which has served independents since 1974.
The independent and united;
The responsive and agile.
Connect and cultivate;